The Children’s Museum of Sonoma County is seeking a Director of Operations to oversee all daily museum operations including visitor services, programs, facilities and exhibit maintenance, IT, and human resources.
As a key member of the leadership team reporting to the CEO, the Director of Operations will lead all client-facing services and functions, supervise the Operations team, and be responsible for all office and budget management. They partner with the CEO and Leadership team to create the strategic vision and success metrics for the organization. They ensure effective operational systems are in place to support Team and Volunteers to achieve the Museum’s mission.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned organizational leader with solid direct experience in client-facing operations, office management and budgeting, HR functions, and performance management. They must be passionate about the Museum’s mission and be a dynamic and competent leader.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the Museum provides exceptional programming and visitor experiences.
- Manage daily museum operations.
- Work with the CEO to set strategic short- and long-range goals and strategic planning initiatives, including developing and monitoring a plan to hit/exceed established earned revenue targets.
- Effectively collaborate across the organization to ensure commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Lead the process to establish internal work systems, including financial/budget management, human resources, volunteer opportunities, facilities management, and programming benchmarks.
- Establish and reinforce a strong performance-based culture with appropriate management and performance measurement systems in place.
- Ensure organization is compliant with federal, state, and local laws and regulations, including labor laws, health, and safety regulations, etc.
- Oversee the Museum’s equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Experience managing a client-facing function and team.
- Proven ability to lead and manage both individual staff and teams, including exceptional coaching, facilitation, and mediation skills; ability to coach and counsel both employees and executive-level management.
- Ability to develop others by leading paths for career development and constructively delivering direct feedback to direct reports and colleagues.
- Calm demeanor in emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to articulate ideas in a thoughtful, professional manner, to interface with and manage senior leaders, and to accept constructive feedback.
- Excellent problem solving, strategic thinking, and decision-making skills – balances data, experience, intuition, and judgment to make sound decisions aligned with our mission and culture.
- Ability to enthusiastically embrace and lead change.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Must be self-motivated, highly productive, solution-oriented, and have exceptional follow-through skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels of staff and volunteers.
- 3-5 years HR generalist experience preferred, including but not limited to recruitment, on-boarding and engagement, risk management, safety, compensation, worker’s comp, employment labor law, performance accountability, and training and development.
- Must be aligned with the Museum’s values and mission.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; experience with Customer Relational Management (CRM) solutions such as Blackbaud Altru a plus.
- Willing and able to work flexible hours and travel within Sonoma County; some evenings and occasional weekends required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
Please note: This position requires a mandatory background security screening.
Job Title: Director of Operations
Classification: Executive/Senior-level managers
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Pay Scale: Commensurate with experience
Supervises: Programs Manager, Programs Coordinator, Interactivity Instigator, Facilities Manager, Operations and Membership Manager, Bilingual Community Ambassador, Visitor Services Coordinator, IT services
Email your cover letter, resume, and 3 references as a PDF or Microsoft Word attachment (please do not send your application embedded in the text of the email message):
- Subject line: “Director of Operations – your name”
- To: email@example.com