The Children’s Museum of Sonoma County is seeking a friendly, energetic, welcoming person to join our Visitor Services Team, engaging directly with Museum visitors at the front desk and modeling ways to interact with fun exhibits throughout their visit.
As a key team member, the Visitor Services Specialist (also known as Playologist!) ensures a positive experience for visitors through direct interaction from entry, throughout the visit, and at departure.
- De-escalate situations with a calm, positive, and customer-centered attitude while creatively problem-solving and referring and/or reporting all issues to the Visitor Services Manager.
- Ensure a safe, welcoming environment for all by monitoring that Museum rules and code of conduct are followed.
- Provide outstanding visitor services to ensure a positive experience for all visitors.
- Assist caregivers and engage with visitors as they utilize exhibits.
- Provide educational and interactive experiences through play.
- Reset and clean exhibits and play spaces.
- Assist in implementation and/or facilitation of programming.
- Assist in the set-up and tear-down of scheduled museum events.
- Report any maintenance needs noticed throughout the gallery to Visitor Services Manager.
- Perform a thorough cleaning of the Museum spaces at the end of each play day, or more frequently as needed.
- Assist in special projects as needed.
- Cheerfully greet all visitors entering and leaving the Museum.
- Check in visitors using point-of-sale system.
- Promote and sell museum memberships and merchandise.
- Accurately complete opening and closing procedures, ensuring proper handling of cash and sales receipts.
- Answer visitor inquiries via telephone and in person.
- Manages organization of lost and found items.
- Maintain clean lobby and desk.
- Assist with basic data entry, mailings, restocking retail and other projects as assigned.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Customer service experience in a retail, restaurant, or museum setting.
- Point-of-sale experience or willingness to learn.
- Experience leading activities for young children preferred.
- Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain professional behavior under pressure.
- Must be punctual & dependable.
- Basic computer literacy, experience with Microsoft Office.
- Must be available to work weekends and occasional holidays when the Museum is open.
- Must be able to communicate clearly.
- Must be able to stand, bend, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors as needed.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to make eye contact and smile.
- This is a part-time, non-exempt position, reporting to the Visitor Services Manager.
- Hours: 24+ hours per week
- Schedule: Weekends and 1-2 weekdays; 8:15am-4:15pm
- Pay Rate: $15.20-16.20/hr.
Please note: This position requires a mandatory background security screening.
Email your cover letter with availability, résumé, and 3 references as a PDF or Microsoft Word attachment with the subject line: “Visitor Services Specialist – your name” to firstname.lastname@example.org.