Do you love working with children and families? Do you enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic, and diverse environment? Do you speak Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, American Sign Language or another language?
The Visitor Services Specialist (also known as Playologist) is responsible for assisting the Visitor Services and Volunteer Manager with the facilitation and implementation of safe, inclusive play on Museum grounds. As a key team member, the Playologist ensures a positive experience for visitors through direct interaction and visitor support from entry and throughout the visit in indoor and outdoor Museum exhibit spaces. Additionally, this position provides support for the Museum’s programs and events as needed.
- Cheerfully greet all visitors entering and leaving the Museum.
- Check in visitors using point-of-sale system.
- Promote and sell museum memberships and merchandise.
- Accurately complete front desk opening and closing procedures, ensuring proper handling of cash and sales receipts.
- Answer visitor inquiries via telephone and in person.
- Provide all visitors with outstanding guest services to ensure a positive experience as they utilize exhibits.
- Perform a thorough cleaning of the Museum at the end of each day, or more frequently as needed.
- Provide educational and interactive experiences through play.
- Assist in the set-up and tear-down of scheduled Museum programming and events.
- Reset and clean exhibits and play spaces.
- Report any maintenance needs noticed throughout the gallery to Visitor Services & Volunteer Manager.
- Ensure a safe, welcoming environment for all by monitoring that Museum rules and code of conduct are followed.
- De-escalate situations with a calm, positive, and customer-centered attitude while creatively problem-solving and referring and/or reporting all issues to the Visitor Services & Volunteer Manager.
- Manage organization of lost and found items.
- Assist with basic front desk data entry, mailings, restocking retail and other projects as assigned.
- Assist in special duties as assigned.
- 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bilingual skills (Spanish) required.
- Customer service experience in a retail, restaurant, or museum setting.
- Point-of-sale experience or willingness to learn.
- Basic computer literacy, experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy required.
- Ability to maintain professional behavior under pressure required.
- Must be punctual, with reliable transportation.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays when the Museum is open.
- Customer service experience in a retail, restaurant, entertainment, or museum setting preferred.
- Experience leading activities for young children preferred.
These are physical and mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for reasonable accommodation, the Museum may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
- This position requires the employee to stand and walk continuously throughout the shift. The employee may be required to bend, stoop, or crouch to assist Museum visitors.
- The employee is regularly required to lift and/or carry up to 10 pounds, and occasionally up to 30 pounds.
- Visual acuity to read printed instructions and safety information, and to assess guest activity at close range and at a distance.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication (in person and via telephone), at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
- Ability to make eye contact and smile.
- This position primarily functions both indoors and outdoors with exposure to heat, cold, and inclement weather.
- The employee is regularly exposed to children and the public.
- Occasional local travel may be required.
- This is a part-time, non-exempt position, reporting to the Visitor Services & Volunteer Manager.
- Hours: Up to 29 hours per week.
- The pay range for this position is $18.00 – $19.00 per hour. Offers will be based on the successful candidate’s experience.
Please note: This position requires a mandatory background security screening and proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Email your cover letter with availability, résumé, and 3 references as a PDF or Microsoft Word attachment with the subject line: “Playologist – your name” to email@example.com.