Do you love working with children and families? Do you enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic, and diverse environment? Do you speak Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, American Sign Language or another language?
Apply to be a Playologist at the Children’s Museum of Sonoma County! We are seeking a part-time bilingual Playologist to ensure a positive experience for visitors through direct interaction from entry, throughout the visit, and at departure.
- Cheerfully greet all visitors entering and leaving the Museum.
- Check in visitors using point-of-sale system.
- Promote and sell museum memberships and merchandise.
- Accurately complete opening and closing procedures, ensuring proper handling of cash and sales receipts.
- Answer visitor inquiries via telephone and in person.
- Manages organization of lost and found items.
- Maintain clean lobby and desk.
- Assist with basic data entry, mailings, restocking retail and other projects as assigned.
- Provide outstanding visitor services to ensure a positive experience for all visitors.
- Assist caregivers and engage with visitors as they utilize exhibits.
- Provide educational and interactive experiences through play.
- Assist in implementation and/or facilitation of programming.
- Assist in the set-up and tear-down of scheduled museum events.
- Reset and clean exhibits and play spaces.
- Report any maintenance needs noticed throughout the gallery to Visitor Services Coordinator.
- Perform a thorough cleaning of the Museum spaces at the end of each play day, or more frequently as needed.
- Assist in special projects as needed.
- Ensure a safe, welcoming environment for all by monitoring that Museum rules and code of conduct are followed.
- De-escalate situations with a calm, positive, and customer-centered attitude while creatively problem-solving and referring and/or reporting all issues to the Visitor Services Coordinator.
- Bilingual skills necessary.
- Customer service experience in a retail, restaurant, or museum setting.
- Point-of-sale experience or willingness to learn.
- Experience leading activities for young children preferred.
- Ability to positively accept direction and complete tasks with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to maintain professional behavior under pressure.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
- Basic computer literacy, experience with Microsoft Office.
- Must be available to work weekends and occasional holidays when the Museum is open.
- Must be able to communicate clearly.
- Must be able to stand, bend, or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors as needed.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to make eye contact and smile.
- This is a part-time, hourly position, reporting to the Director of Operations.
- Pay rate: $17-18/hr.
Please note: This position requires a mandatory background security screening and proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Email your cover letter with availability, résumé, and 3 references as a PDF or Microsoft Word attachment with the subject line: “Playologist – your name” to firstname.lastname@example.org.