Group Visits & Field Trips
Note about our Field Trip programs: In order to allow more students the opportunity to enjoy the Museum we're combining our Group Visit and Field Trips programs. All information for our updated programs is below.
Group visits are 2.5 hour self-guided exploration of the Museum. Museum staff will greet you, review a few rules and logistics, and then your group will be free to explore the various Museum exhibits at your own pace until the end of your scheduled visit.
Group Visit Basics
- Group Visits are for children in 2nd grade and younger. Exceptions will be considered for mixed age groups with children up to 10 years old.
- Groups must be affiliated with a school (public, charter, state, private, home), preschool, school district, County Office of Education, childcare facility, camp program, or a non-profit children's organization. If you do not meet these criteria, but plan to bring more than 12 kids to the Museum, please contact us to let us know.
- All groups requesting the group visit discount are REQUIRED to register with us ahead of time. If you do not register ahead of your visit: you will be expected to pay full price, or may be turned away at the door due to capacity limits.
- The Museum requires a minimum of 1 chaperone for every 4 children on a group visit (1:4 ratio). Chaperones and teachers in a 1:4 ratio are included in the cost of the visit.
- Groups with children with special needs have no minimum group size and all adults are complimentary.
Group Visit Pricing
(must pre-register for this price)
- $10 per child; chaperones in 1:4 ratio are allowed in for free
- Additional chaperones pay the regular entrance fee of $12
- Payment for group visits is due on the day of the visit.
Group Visit Maximum Numbers by Day
*Please pay close attention to the following group sizes when submitting your request form for certain days:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday | 48 students (2 classes)
- Saturday & Sunday | 24 students (1 class)
- Tuesday (select dates) | 144 students (6 classes)
Discovery Station Add-ons
We offer an optional add-on docent-led Discovery Station for TK - 2nd grade. Discovery Stations are 40 minute add-on programs that serve 15 - 24 students at a time.
**Discovery Station Add-ons are ONLY AVAILABLE: Mondays & Wednesdays from September - May
** Total group size for Discovery Add-on programs cannot exceed 48 students
- $40 per station for up to 24 students (In addition to the $9/student group visit fee)
- 3 hour visit includes 40 minute program plus free exploration
- Sessions are offered at 10 am and/or 11am
- Max group size for an add-on program is 48 students (2 groups of 24)
- ONLY AVAILABLE: Mondays and Wednesdays from September - May
Discovery Station Options (choose one):
- Forces: Students build contraptions, while thinking about pushes, pulls and the effect of gravity. Students also have the opportunity to experiment with magnets.
- Sound & Vibration: Students explore how sounds are created by vibrations and vibrations create sound.
Group Visit Scholarships
Thanks to the generous contributions of our donors, we can offer a limited number of scholarships to schools who need assistance accessing our programs. Schools demonstrating a 40% or higher socio-economically disadvantaged population are eligible for consideration. If your school wishes to be considered, please indicate accordingly on the Request Form.
Chaperones play an important part in making your group visit day smooth and fun. Please assign 4 students to each chaperone prior to arriving at the Museum. Encourage your chaperones to engage with the students and keep cell phone use to a minimum. If chaperones bring siblings, include them in your head counts and be prepared to pay for them.
Please familiarize chaperones with our three rules so they can help students:
- Be safe and always walk.
- Be friendly to other people and take turns.
- Be kind to our exhibits.
What to Wear
Visits to the Museum are hands-on, immersive, outdoor experiences where students are encouraged to explore our garden and play in our water-feature area. Please be prepared that students may get a little bit dirty or a little bit wet and have them dress appropriately.
Lunches and Snacks
Bring your own snacks and lunches and enjoy them at our outdoor tables. We do not have food service or indoor eating areas available at the Museum. In consideration of guests with nut allergies, please do not bring nut products into the Museum.
Student Drop-off & Pick-up (with school buses)
Buses must drop-off and pick-up in the Museum's parking lot, near the front entrance of the Museum.
Please note that the Museum does not have bus parking in our parking lot. Buses will need to park at Coddingtown Mall if they are waiting for students.
Teacher Guides to our Group Visits
We have created a a teacher guide to getting the most out of your visit to the Museum. Please download/print your guide to have it handy for your visit! Teacher guides Include alignments to California Department of Education Curriculum and the National Early Learning Standards.
Teacher guides coming soon
We require a planned time of arrival when booking a group visit. Our group visits are allowed 2.5 hours, if you arrive late, we cannot guarantee an extension to your visit.
Please note that the Museum is open to the general public everyday except Tuesday, please be prepared to share the space. On Tuesdays, we can accommodate larger groups due to being closed.