Make Your Own Newspaper Pirate Hats and Eye Patches At Home: Ages 3+
Follow the directions below to make fun and easy pirate costumes from common household items!
DIY Newspaper Pirate Hats
Newspaper (1 sheet per camper)
- Each child receives one full sheet of newspaper.
- Fold in half vertically (“hot dog” style).
- Fold in half horizontally (“hamburger” style).
- Fold the top corners toward the middle of the paper (it will make a triangle). Leave a margin of a few inches at the bottom of the page.
- Fold the bottom margin of one side of the paper up toward the middle to start making the brim of your hat. This single-fold may cover the triangle. If it doesn’t, then fold the bottom strip of paper again, so the strip is covering the triangle.
- Flip the hat over and fold the other bottom margin the same way you folded the other side. This may be a little harder to do without tearing the paper. If you’re having trouble, put your other hand inside the hat to hold it open a little bit.
- Use a piece of tape, if needed, to keep the edges of the hat brim together.
- Use the markers to decorate the hat as desired.
DIY Pirate Eye Patch
- Cut out the eye patch from black paper
- Punch holes on each side of the eye patch
- Slide yarn through both holes in the patch
- Put a patch over the eye (of choice), and tie at the back of the head to hold in place.