Ideas or Inquiries
Dough play is a great tactile activity that allows children the opportunity to experience sensory input in a fun, whimsical way.
Mix, dissolve, knead, squish
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tablespoons Cream of Tarter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10-12 drops essential oil (OPTIONAL)
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- Liquid watercolor
- Big mixing bowl
- Electric kettle
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl and give it a good stir.
- Squirt some liquid watercolor into liquid measuring cup, then fill to get 1 ½ cups boiling water.
- Add the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the boiling water.
- IF you are adding essential oils, add them to the boiling water cup, too.
- Pour the colored boiling water and oil(s) into the dry ingredients.
- Stir and mix until it comes together as a dough. It will probably be sticky.
- When it’s cool enough for you to handle, turn out onto the counter and knead until smooth and no-longer sticky.
- You may need to add a bit of flour as you knead. Check the stickiness of the dough to make sure.